Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Google (your name here)


In class this past week we talked about "googling" ourselves online. Discussion included that this could be both a beneficial and harmful thing for our future, job opportunity...etc. When you look yourself up, there may be many to no searches where you click enter. Some of the things may be incriminating pictures, past mistakes, or things you just want to keep confidential. These are the skeletons. In class, we learned that there is a process you can undergo to remove these from shadowing over your potential future.

I can't believe I never thought to "google" myself before. I will be graduating in May and know that I will be looking for a professional job and/or career. I don't want them to stumble across anything that would prevent me from getting a desired job, even if it may be considered harmless to others. Therefore, I decided to google myself and saw many hits for my name just on the first search page alone. Nothing bad appeared (not that there was anything I was worried about). What came up was actually good stuff. My deans list records came up, an article that I was quoted in high school was there, and of course my facebook account. I found it actually kind of exciting.


Everyday in this social media class, it is becoming more apparent that the internet is out there to help us, benefit us, and make our lives overall much easier.

2 comments:

Shannon N. said...

I'm with you on that one, Cori. I'd "googled" myself maybe twice before we discussed it in class the other day. I was never really concerned with what would come up because I keep a pretty low profile on the internet, but you never know!

Analee made a good point in a comment on my blog about how sooner or later we might as well just put the URL to our google results on our resume. While I think all of the new technologies we've been discussing are overall a good thing, it is slight unnerving to think about what could go up on the internet without our control. Good post!

davalos said...

I had googled myself in the past but nothing bad ever came up. I had no worries going into this until I saw the search results. Apparently, there is a teenage girl with my exact same name, who's got a profile of her own and goes by the name of LaSadGirl!
I'll be graduating in my May too and it makes me wonder, will my employers think I'm LaSadGirl!