Sunday, October 12, 2008

No more facebook beacon please!

This past week we discussed the facebook beacon situation. When facebook set up a system that posted personal information about purchases individuals made on other websites and posted them on their feed, this created a big problem. I know that I would not want my personal purchases flaunted on the internet for everyone to see. This situation became very interesting to me when we were told about the guy who bought a wedding ring for his soon to be fiance on overstock.com and had everyone suprisingly congratulate him before he even proposed. How awful!! I would feel so enraged that I would want to sue! Although he really couldn't do anything about it because of the tiny disclaimers that you never realy even notice. What a situation! Well needless to say the whole facebook beacon situation made it to the newsroom and was taken care of. Although they do not want to completely do away with it, they are altering it. This doesn't make sense. Why alter it? Why not completley trash it? I feel more facebook protesting in the near future.

1 comment:

mandimex said...

i say we make a petition to get rid of newsfeed and anything that pertains to applying all of our information out for everyone to see!
i hate newsfeed!